So the pdf of the 1st Draft is compiled and about to go out to backers, a little later than expected. That’s because as well as doing one last self-edit, I took it as an opportunity to make some last-minute changes.
- Hero points are now called Fortune.
- Improvement points are now Growth (points)
- Improving Characters now Growing Characters and re-written and expanded.
- Battle Magic renamed Personal Magic
All the Paths of Magic have an Immortality End Game
- Personal Magic: Shamans become Great Spirits and move into the Spirit World. Wises become One with the Land.
- Divine Magic: Priests and Holy Warriors, Ascend into the Houses of Holy either as Ascended Guardians, who become part of the Pantheon that they worship or as an independent deity.
- Sorcery: The Magus Transcends the very limits of mortality through their knowledge of the Laws of Magic, becoming beings of pure magical energy.
OpenQuest has three paths to magical power. Within each is a set of ranks. which are listed below in order of magical power (although Wises and Shamans are more specialist casters of equal power to each other).
I quickly thought this up when thinking about how to quickly explain the magic systems to a complete beginner.
Is the magic that just is. It flows through the surroundings and into a person who shapes it. A mish-mash of orally transmitted spells that have survived through time because they are useful in everyday life. Because everyday life for most adventurers is full of conflict they call it Battle Magic.
- Most folk just do it to meet a need
- Wises are exploring it.
- Shamans are in a conversation with the self-aware expressions of it (i.e. spirits)
Is the power of the Immortals, that comes from their deads in mythology. Mortal followers are inspired by it, and that inspiration performs miracles for them.
- Lay members are protected by it
- Initiates are at the start of their journey into the mysteries of it.
- Priests/Priestesses are close to their deities and speak for them, guiding the believers.
- Holy Warriors defend it
Is magic that comes from consciously manipulating the logical magical laws of the Universe, that previous seekers after knowledge has written down as spells in Sorcererous Spell Books.
When it comes to sorcery:
- Apprentices are learning it
- Adepts are doing it
- Magi are living expressions of it.